Evans-Moore Cup 2015

GASCOIGNE PRIMARY SCHOOL secured the first silverware of the BDSFA season after winning the Evans Moore 7-a-side Cup. The Barking based school held their nerve in shoot out to edge out St Peter’s and secure their first Evans-Moore title since 2003.

Gascoigne started the day slowly  and opened up Group D with a 0-0 draw against Ripple. However, two wins from their next two games saw them through to the knockout stages.

They were joined in the last eight by Rush Green who recovered from losing to Gascoigne by beating Ripple and Roding to secure the runners up spot.

St. Peter’s progressed from Group C as runners up. They suffered a dreadful start by going down 3-0 to William Bellamy. However, they bounced back and went through after beating Five Elms. Bellamy impressed in their four games and followed up their win against St. Peter’s with two wins over Godwin to top the group.

Top Spot

Group A was won by The Leys who won three of their four games without letting a goal in. St. Margaret’s finished as runners up having won their first three games but a late, late goal between the two sides saw the Leys secure top spot.

Group B was a tight affair with just a point separating the top three sides. George Carey finished on top after two wins and two draws. They were joined in the knockout stages by Beam who edged out Monteagle by the narrowest of margins. A single goal was the difference between progress and elimination.

The quarter finals saw drama galore as all four ties saw late excitement. Gasciogne left it until the last kick of extra time to edge out Beam. Ethan Wenyato’s well taken goal was the difference and there was barely time to restart the game such was the lateness of the strike.

In the second quarter final, St. Peter’s held a 1-0 lead going into stoppage time but The Leys sent keeper Kieran Pougoue up for a late corner and his majestic header sent the tie into extra time. The sides couldn’t be separated so the tie would have to be settled by the lottery of spot kicks. A number of fine penalties saw the shootout go into sudden death and it was St. Peter’s who prevailed to go through.

Lightning Quick

St. Margaret’s took an early lead in the third quarter final against William Bellamy. However, Bellamy battled back and took the game into extra time with an excellent strike. Bellamy then made a lightning quick start to the additional time and grabbed two quick fire goals to stun St. Margaret’s and book their place in the last four.

George Carey and Rush Green met in the last quarter final and George Carey took an early lead. Rush Green hit the woodwork twice before finally equalising with seconds left. They then took an early lead in extra time and despite some late pressure they held on to complete the semi final line up.

Both semi finals were tense affairs and were both settled by a single goal. St. Peter’s and Rush Green looked like it was heading for penalties but a goal, with just twenty seconds left, saw St. Peter’s squeeze through into the final.

The second semi, between Gascoigne and William Bellamy, was also decided late. Once again Wenayto was the hero, firing home from close range with less than a minute to go.

Gascoigne went into the final as slight favourites but St. Peter’s looked the more likely to score and were twice thwarted by the woodwork. Gascoigne were also indebted to their keeper who made three smart saves to keep the score level.


Extra time saw very little goalmouth action and so penalties were needed. Despite the prize on offer, both sides scored their first five penalties but unfortunate St. Peter’s missed their sixth and the cup went to Gascoigne.

Defeat was harsh on St. Peter’s who had been the better side in the final but it was Gasciogne who lifted the trophy and the crown of Borough 7-a-side champions. Both schools will now go forward to represent the Borough in the Essex Finals this week.